4 Themes for Your Pool Party
Nothing can beat a dip in the pool when the temperatures start creeping up ? well, nothing but doing it with your friends! Everyone loves a pool party, but why not make yours the pinnacle of pool time with a theme? A themed party is not easily forgotten and it's a fun way to set your party apart from all others of the season. Here are a few tips to turn your average pool party into something special. (Remember, any of these ideas can be adapted to swimming-pool-free homes.) Now, go ahead and make a splash!
Whether you think Gidget is groovy or the Beach Boys make you go bonkers, incorporating elements of the swinging '60s is sure to make everyone smile! Music can set the tone for a retro pool party. Channel the big hits of the '60s and get ready to dance. Who can really sit still while the oldies are on the stereo? Adding brightly colored touches like striped towels, classic beach balls, hula-hoops and Polynesian decorations will bring in more flair. Asking your guests to dress the part can be fun too. Head scarves and cat eye sunglasses for the ladies and Hawaiian shirts for the guys...unless they have the courage to show up in those shorty shorts!
2) Water Olympics
Maybe you have a pack of wild kids coming over, or maybe healthy competition is just what gets your blood pumping. Either way, a day of water events is a fun way to keep everyone engaged and entertained! If you want to keep things organized, set up an official tournament with brackets on a poster board. Then, choose some events. Classic relay races never fall out of fashion when it comes to pool games. Obstacle courses can require as many props as you want. And, as we say at Lakeside, "LET THE GAMES BEGIN!"
- Retro faves like Jell-O molds or pool snack shop classics are fun ways to add relatable nostalgic flavor.
- If you have the option, choose decor with patterns ? stripes, polka dots, and big bright florals.
- Dividing the guests into teams instills a spirit of camaraderie.
- A combination of events underwater and above is important so that everyone's lungs have a chance to recover.
- Be sure to have ample snacks on hand! All of that activity makes for enormous appetites. Remember hearing about Michael Phelps' diet?
3) Movie Night
Who says pool parties have to be during the day? Plan your own "drive-in" style movie in the water! First things first ? you'll need to be comfortable. Load up the pool with inflatable chairs and rafts so you can lounge. Next, either move your TV outside or rent a projector for the event. If your house is a light color, project it right onto the side of your home. If not, just hang a sizeable white bed sheet (make sure all four corners are taut so you don't miss any details). Give the party an authentic feel with a popcorn station and snacks! That's all it takes to turn the "Drive-In" into a "DIVE-In!"Tips: Be sure to have SOME accent lighting so that a path is visible when people want or need to leave the water.Choosing the movie should be the fun part. I love the idea of water-themed movies like Free Willy, Jaws, Finding Nemo or The Little Mermaid!
Let your red, white and blue fly proudly whether it's a holiday or not. Americana barbecues are timeless and true. Amp up your event with some patriotic fervor. Stars and stripes are a surefire way to get your theme across. American music (country, classic rock, "The Boss," Neil Diamond) must be on your playlist. Your menu can include classic favorites like hotdogs and hamburgers. Don't forget fireworks and free flowing flags. Bring traditional games into the water, like pool tug-of-war or capture the flag. Now get ready for a Star-Spangled good time!
- Be sure to have SOME accent lighting so that a path is visible when people want or need to leave the water.
- Choosing the movie should be the fun part. I love the idea of water-themed movies like Free Willy, Jaws, Finding Nemo or The Little Mermaid!
- Be sure to have extra towels on hand for guests who might forget theirs.
- Use plastic drinkware. Even the steadiest of party guests could have a mishap with all of the water merriment!
- Try to provide a shaded area for times when the sun becomes too much.
While you're looking for ways to enjoy the rest of the summer outside, shop The Lakeside Collection for outdoor games, garden decor and pool gear. Lakeside has everything you need to enjoy the season.