Lakeside Collections Home
  • Hello,
    Sign In
  • New Customer?
  • Request A
    FREE Catalog
  • Sign Up For
    Email Offers

Halloween Pet Safety

What To Watch Out For
To Keep Your Pet Safe

Ghosts, ghouls, and goblins; Halloween is a frightful night! While the kids love to get spooked when they patrol for candy, there are major safety concerns, and they're not limited to our children. We need to take special care of our pets as we drape our homes with scary Halloween decorations and trolls and vampires come knocking at our doors for treats. Even if the treats are safe for kids, they may not be for our pets. Here are 6 things to watch out for to keep our pets safe on Halloween.

#1 Offender: Chocolate

Chocolate is the biggest Halloween trick for dogs. It's probably second only to peanut butter as the most delicious thing for a dog to eat, but it is deadly. It contains caffeine and theobromine, which are methylxanthines. Methylxanthines can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and seizures if a dog consumes even small amounts. The darker the chocolate, the more concentrated methylxanthines are, which makes the chocolate more toxic. The amount, darkness of the chocolate and the size of the dog determines how it affects a dog, but it's best to keep dogs away from chocolate at all costs.


In small doses, pumpkin is very good for a dog's digestive system. However, it contains a lot of vitamin A and, in high doses, it can be toxic for dogs (same for humans). While you're always on the look out for tiny toys for kids that are hazards for dogs, also keep an eye on your jack-o'-lanterns or keep them out of paw reach until Halloween is over.

Nut Concerns

Most nuts cause problems for dogs if they eat them. Nuts result in anything from upset stomachs to neurological problems. It probably doesn't occur to you to feed your dog nuts, but dogs can sniff out anything they can eat regardless of the toxins it contains.

Raisin Risks

Grapes and raisins seem harmless, and on Halloween neighbors may try to sneak some raisins into your kids' goodie bags. However, they should be kept far away from your pets. Grapes and raisins contain an unidentified toxin that is very dangerous for dogs, even in small amounts. It can cause kidney failure in worst-case scenarios, but even in best case scenarios, the symptoms can be devastating: vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, and weakness. So while you're checking your kids' candy for human hazards, think about how the trick-or-treat bag affects your dog, too.

Wrapper Warning

Dogs are built for hunting, and their keen sense of smell lead them to all things tasty, including the remnants of chocolate on a candy wrapper. Dogs will eat up a candy wrapper that has just a hint of cocoa on it. Some dogs' digestive systems may be able to pass it, but in other dogs, it causes obstructions that can be removed only through surgery; it's quite painful for dogs and expensive for their owners.

Sugar-Free Candy Crisis

Sugar-free candy may be missing the extra calories, but it does have toxic ingredients that make animals sick. The artificial sweetener xylitol is used in many sugar-free candies and gum. Xylitol is toxic to dogs. If a dog eats it, it probably will cause vomiting, seizures, or liver failure.

The Lakeside Collection wants every holiday to be happy and safe for your pet. From tips to keep your pets safe for Halloween to cozy pet beds to make their Christmas joyful, look to Lakeside to make each holiday a little bit brighter for you and your pet.